These Aug. 2020 photos show the EARLY stages of construction of the 3-rail, O-gauge, DC-powered
“Reading & North Western” model railroad in Williamsport PA.
- This layout will occupy the ENTIRE basement — on about 3 levels when completed.
- The main layout is standard gauge, but a small part of the layout will be On30 and On42 narrow gauge.
- The owner estimates there will be about 600 linear feet of standard gauge mainline, and about 500 cars used on the layout when it is done.
- He estimates there will be about 50 linear feet of On30, and about 100 linear feet of On42 track.* For the On42, he is planning to use Gargraves S gauge track and American Flyer switches.* In the last part of the video, he is describing converting an O gauge freight car to On42 by adding American Flyer trucks.
- The owner uses DC track power to power the 3-rail locos, and scale Kadee couplers.
- Paul Karichner of Audio Services ( http://AudioServices17740.wordpress.com ) in Jersey Shore is doing most of the conversion of the cars to Kadee couplers, and for some locos is converting them to DC power.
- For some of the cars, Paul and the owner are also converting the trucks from 2-rail scale, to 3-rail highrail.
- This layout will model PA cities, starting in the south at Liverpool, and going North to Towanda.
- The plans are to include the cities of Liverpool, Sunbury, Selinsgrove, Northumberland, Lewisburg, Milton, White Deer, Watsontown, Williamsport, Trout Run, Ralston, Roaring Branch, Canton, Towanda and Nichols NY.
Click on any photo, to view it LARGER